Tuesday 1 January 2013

Resolutions Review

Here we go again. I miscounted on my last entry with six entries. This is, in fact, the sixth entry. I blame it on age.
 
Last year's resolutions and the results are as follows:
  1. Find a suitable* job. - Not quite, but being employed sure beats the pogey.
  2. Work term w/ H&R Block  - Complete success here
  3. Study French - Although I didn't pay attention to some of the 'sub goals' attached, I finally started taking formal classes in French for the first time in more than 15 years and my French has vastly improved. I actually had written some of the government tests without any formal study and somehow managed to come within 3 points of passing the written expression exam, while passing the reading comprehension. If I ever take those tests again, I feel much more confident about passing, since, well, taking classes and actually studying.
  4. Continue reading to Adam - We finished Will & Ariel Durant's Story of Civilization. It only took two and a half years for the volumes (V-XI) we had worked on. Now, we've moved on to Winston Churchhill's History of the English Speaking Peoples, although we're only on the first book so far.
  5. Write more - Yeah, didn't quite work out as I had hoped.
    1. income tax proposal - did this, but barely shared it. All the rest of the sub-goals, which I've deleted, were all incomplete.
  6. Books - Signed up for Goodreads through Facebook to track this stuff. I forgot about some of the formalities and no book reviews, but... who really cares about the books I read?
  7. Attend church more. - Sigh; at least I went at Christmas. Repeat.
  8. Continue swimming lessons with Adam. - We continued these throughout the year, so, yeah, chalk up another success. We were pretty ill during the closing months of 2012, however, so we only got to one class out of six or seven, but the swimming lessons were awesome throughout the summer.
  9. I’d like to become more involved with the civic community. - Failure here. Ottawa? Just too busy.
  10. Quit smoking! - Hmmm. Yeah, this never happened. Strangely enough, it's on top of my resolutions for this year. In fact, today is the first day I hadn't smoked at least one cigarette in more than over a year and a half.
  11. Keep finances in order - Wow. Finances were drained in 2012, but we managed to squeak by without going into major debt. May took out a student loan and I finally paid mine off, which, well, at least will save us the monthly expense of paying off the loan for a while ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment