Tuesday 17 July 2012

Je suis au chômage!

It has been an incredible six months since I broke that New Year's resolution of writing more. Moreover, it's been four and half months since I left gainful employment and two and a half months since I've had a job. (Note the difference between being gainfully employed and having a job; $12.00 an hour is not enough to live on and retain any sense of human dignity). Most people in my situation would have probably been able to secure an interview or two by now, but, alas, not me! My inherent aversion to cover letters prevents me from actually getting any call backs or attracting any serious attention to my job applications.

One major accomplishment, well, major, minor, use whatever adjective you'd like, is that I was able to pass a French exam. That exam is the Diplôme d'études en langue française and I scored 85/100 on the A2 level. While some may say 'congratulations,' etc., I must respond that it was nothing much to, ahem, write home about. Taken from the DELF website, here is a description of what the A2 category means:

"DELF A2 is based on the same principle [as DELF A1]: it recognises the linguistic competency of a basic user, considered as a social actor. The candidate can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring the most common polite phrases and exchanges of information." (http://www.ciep.fr/en/delfdalf/DELF.php)

Once you check the differences in level, you'll see why I don't consider this to be a big thing. Why am I writing about it? Good question (posed to myself). At the end of the day, passing the test merely allows me to see within myself the ability to push myself to accomplish something of, be it limited, merit, like, stepping towards a future goal in a modest, but serious, fashion. While it's certainly plausible had I signed up for a higher level examination, say B1, I may have passed, considering the pass scores, which leads me to place the authenticity of the exam itself in doubt, I felt aiming too high may have been overstepping my actual ability. That and I wasn't entirely aware of the grading system and distinctions between levels upon signing up. And there was a $60 difference in registration price.

Studying French these past couple of months could, in effect, change my status as unemployed to that of a student, but I must stress that being a student is not my prime motivation at this point in my life. Not to dismiss all the merits of being a student, mind you, but I need a job to support my family! The French language is an integral ability to have in the job market in which I find myself placed. Moreover, to pursue future ambitions (in Canada), I cannot deny that French is essential. In some ways this is unfortunate, because studying a fourth language is incredibly mentally taxing and leads to further confusion when trying to speak in any of the target languages. Moreover, it lessens the investments of time, money and effort I've put in to studying Japanese & Chinese, in effect, placing French as above these two very important world languages. (Canada is pushing for a Free Trade Agreement with Japan and, well, who doesn't know about China's economic rise?) However, French is essential in dealings with the Chinese and Japanese peoples - please excuse this sudden outburst of cynicism, I mean no disrespect from it.

Indeed, after studying French, I certainly have a new respect for the language. But, as is true with every language one learns, I begin to feel a pull towards French culture, history, philosophy, etc. With each language one learns, one is, fundamentally, creating a new mind or personality within oneself to acclimatize to the new mode of thinking. This is true in my case, anyway. I cannot learn a new language without taking something deeper away from the experience. In French, I find methods of expression far superior to that of English, or the other two Asian languages I'm familiar with. I cannot say I wield the weapons of French language very proficiently, but as I learn more and more, I come to increasingly love it. After all, I am half French. It's like awakening some genetic memory, repressed by the dominant English language mind inside me. I'll end this ramble on that note. I've decided to continue with my studies of the French language. I might get in another month of full time studies this month after which I hope to continue part time while I, ideally, work.

Perhaps I'll write another entry in here within the next six months. I surely have enough time for it. Perhaps I'll have an actual meaningful purpose as well. And who knows? Maybe I'll actually revise my work before posting it instead of, what I tend to do, roll out the words as a continuous stream of thought. Surely, oh audience of none, you've come to expect more from your dear author! ;p

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Audience of one! And I liked this entry so please write more. I'm sorry there hasn't been much that I can do around the job situation - everyone is so against hiring "from the outside" right now. But as SOON as I hear anything, your will be the first name I think of, Smooth. Only I will tell them your real name so they don't think you're weird (they'll have to wait to meet you to realize that). Hang in there - all my love to your wife and small one :) xxoo Melissa

    ReplyDelete